Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 1 & 2 - Singapore to Sao Paulo, Brazil (24th & 25th Dec 11)

 Read this book & watched the movie back in 2004. 

I brought this book with me, hoping that I could appreciate it better when I was in South America. I had a better understanding of terms like "Mate", a popular hot beverage in Argentina and other parts of South America. I could also appreciate why Roberto (Ernesto Guevara's traveling buddy) took of his clothes with the intention to swim Lake Titicaca and put his clothes back after realizing that the water was really cold. (I could feel my coldness grabbing my head when I was swimming for a while in Lake Titicaca). 

Doha City, Qatar.
This is the longest flight of my life. A total 31 hours of traveling time (including 8 hours transit time in Doha airport).

Doha City, Qatar
It reminded of the Palm Islands in Dubai (only been to the airport). I am wondering what is the economy of Doha? What are the pillars of its economic? Is it like a ghost town like Dubai with over-construction? Are the middle-east countries able to create more capabilities to boost its economy rather than relying on oil exploration & refinery?

A row of volcanoes.
(Africa)

The barren inhospitable land of Africa.
This is my first time flying across the whole Africa continent. A Barren flat plain of nothingness. No cloud, No trees, No life. What a magnificent sight. Thanks to modern technology, I was listening to Moby's Porcelain and drinking a cold glass of Apple juice while enjoying this view. 
It's good to be alive. :)

My first impression of Sao Paulo, Brazil
The largest city in South America.

This is my first time in a new continent - South America.
=)


Met a kind Brazilian Gentlemen (based in Germany) who gave us an overview of the economy of Brazil. Firstly, I learnt that there is no typical Brazilian look (take a look at the photo below). Secondly, Brazil is a boom town (with commodities prices soaring & the discovery of offshore oil). Thirdly, the income gap disparity is widening. Real Estate property is expensive and its beyond the means of ordinary folks. A fresh graduate pay is around 800 real/month (S$586, US$465), with its GDP per capital around US$11,810 which is around US$984/mth, S$1,240/mth. 

I could not verify his figure. But I remember the McDonald Meal in the city is around 16 Brazilian Real (S$11.72, US$9.32) which is very high compared to its average income. 

Doing a quick calculation:
Brazil: % of Mac Meal to GDP per capita is 0.078%
USA: % of Mac Meal to GDP per capita is 0.013%
Singapore: % of Mac Meal to GDP per capita is 0.009%

This might not be conclusive, but at least, it shows the general purchasing power of average people in the country. Looking at this statistics, it is tough to be an average Brazilian worker.


In the metro. There is no typical Brazilian look - White, Mixed, Hispanic, Black, Asian etc... That's interesting! I was surprised that the metro ticket is one-price for any distance (2.9 Real - S$2.12, US$1.69), in another words, the price is the same irregardless where you alight. So it definitely makes more sense to take the metro if you are traveling further.


Spent my X'mas walking around Paulista Avenue (Business District) of Sao Paulo. Interesting to see hawkers selling food in the business district. 

No comments:

Post a Comment