Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 9 - Lima, Peru (1st Jan 12)

The first day of 2012.

I woke up early at 6+ after 3 hours of sleep and alcohol intoxication. Surprisingly, I wasn't feeling too tired and was quite excited to explore Lima. The first stop was Plaza de Armas. Only much later, I realized that in every city, big or small, there is always a plaza at the center of the city. This is a legacy of the Spanish colonial architecture. 

Really happy to see locals parading the street on a Sunday morning.


Unfortunately, I do not know the significance of this parade and the masks.


Nice looking boots.

Had a great conversation with a Peruvian family from another city. They were really nice people - giving us orange juices as well as introducing their friend in Nazca (as we told them that we were going to Nazca after Lima). They were the middle-income family in Peru, but the surprising thing was they had never visited Machu Picchu before - citing the high cost as a reason.


Iglesia de Santo Domingo Church


Skull of Catholic Saint - Santa Rosa De Lima

"Rose of Lima, (April 20, 1586 – August 24, 1617),[1] the first Catholic saint native to the Americas, was born in LimaPeru."

Interesting to see the Peruvians wearing traditional costume to attend New Year Sunday Morning Mass. Only in Peru. =)


After that, we visited Monastery of San Francisco. This monastery has a catacombs (underground graveyard) that is opened for visiting (no photography allowed). This was the 2nd catacombs i visited in my life. It was not always a pleasant feeling to see skulls and bones, and breathing the stale air.



"The Larco Museum is a privately owned museum of pre-Columbian art, located in thePueblo Libre District of LimaPeru. It showcases chronological galleries that provide a thorough overview of 4,000 of Peruvian pre-Columbian history. It boasts one of the world's largest collections of pre-Columbian art including MocheNazcaChimĂș, and Inca pieces. Additionally, the Larco Museum is well known for its gallery of pre-Columbian erotic pottery."

Taken from the Museum:
"The six regions of world where first civilizations emerged independently, uninfluenced by other societies, are known as the Cradles of Civilization. They are:
1. China
2. India
3. Mesopotamia (present day Iraq)
4. Egypt
5. Mesoamerica (Gulf of Mexico)
6. Peru"

When I read that, I was quite overwhelmed and proud that my Chinese heritage is unique and has more than 5000 years of history. 

Really beautiful drawings.

It looks so real!

Nice drawings.


Yup. I have visited many museums, but I have not seen any erotic pottery created by any other ancient civilization. Bearing in mind that these pottery were made around 100AD-500AD. That's interesting!

A dead person masturbating.

A blowjob pottery.


I went surfing at the Pacific ocean along Lima. The water was quite cold, so the surf operator offered the rash guard. Stupidly, I chose not to wear the rash guard as I saw some surfers without it as well and I thought it would be a good opportunity to get a tan. It was a big mistake. I had abrasion on my upper torso including my nipples. I did not managed to stand :( and it was getting too painful to carry on. I went back to the shore in pain, but nevertheless, I enjoyed the whole experience!

Lesson learnt - always listen to advice and try to be hero (wear a rash guard).
Hero always dies first!
I went to Taiwan 2 months later, and I wore one while I was surfing.

(Taken by HY)

(Taken by HY)

Sunset over the Pacific Ocean.
Quite happy to see this sight again, the last time I saw it was more than 7 years ago.
(Taken by HY)

No comments:

Post a Comment